Thursday, December 8, 2011

The Christmas Story

This year, Silas seems very suprised by the fact that Christmas is about Jesus.  He loves it - he's absorbing it - but it is as if he is hearing it for the first time.  We've taught it, the church has taught it, his grandparents have taught it, his preschool taught it...So I know he has heard it.  But the difference in hearing and believing are worlds apart.  He has made some comments so far this season, that as a mother I know will stay with me.  For instance, Sunday after church he told several people, "You know I really get it, Christmas is about Jesus first, jolly spirit second."  I have thought about this all week.  How true is it that if Jesus is first - the jolly spirit will follow?  Thanks Silas for the reminder. 
I have been really trying to re-teach him the Christmas Story, knowing that he is like a little sponge just soaking about all there is to learn about this "new" story.  We were talking about it the other day and I asked him "How did the sheperds find Jesus?".  Hoping that the part of the star had stuck, I waited for his answer.  He thought about it for a minute and said "That's easy, you said they were in a barn so I'm sure they followed the stinky smell.". 
We are still teaching......

No comments:

Visitors