Sunday, July 22, 2012

A Vapour

I reluctantly admit that I am growing older, it has to be true.  There are more gray hairs in my hair than brown, losing weight is an uphill battle, a diet coke at bedtime would keep me up all night...I would go on but that could get ugly fast!

Anyway, where was I?  In growing older I am seeing life in such a different way than I ever have before.  In James 4:14 the Scripture says: "Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes."

Think about that...a vapour.  that appears for a little while.   then vanishes.

Over the past 2 weeks, I have thought about that alot....

Many years ago, I had a best friend.  A friend that for about 3 years, we talked on the phone all the time, stayed up all night eating ice cream and giggling, spent our summers together at band practice and band camp...then spent our fall together marching to "send in the clowns" and the Virginia High School fight song.   She played the flute.  I played the trumpet.  We named ourselves "the flumpettes"...to make it official we had an air brush t-shirt made while performing at a band competition in the Smoky Mountains.  We wore it "loud and proud".  We probably had to run laps together for giggling when our band director didn't think it was appropriate.  We shared stories about boys (well mostly I listened...), we learned to cross stitich one summer...it was a good friendship.

To be honest, 20 odd years later I can't tell you really why we stopped doing all those things.  She went down one path and I went on another....there wasn't a fight or a disagreement that I can remember...we just changed.

I was so excited when I found her on facebook...I could see her, her smiles and the curly hair that matched her personality.  I loved seeing pictures of her precious newborn being held by her Daddy.  I loved reading her updates...I loved seeing her newborn grow into a toddler with curls matching her Mom's....I loved the window that was being provided for me to reconnect.  Though we were miles apart and our lives had taken us in different directions, I felt that connection from so many years ago.

My heart broke when I saw that she had passed away.  A vapour that was here for just a little while...38 short years.  She leaves behind a host of friends, a husband, a little girl, a mom and dad.  People who are suffering, people who are broken.

I can't quite wrap my head around it.  Can't quite understand it.  Can't quite accept it. 

Yet, I have to hold on to the Father for all of that.  It is His plan, His purpose, His hands.




No comments:

Visitors