Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Mr. T

Recently, I had the privilege of sitting in a congregation and hearing Reverend John Thrasher deliver his last official sermon.  It was a special time and I am so glad I was there. 
Mr. T, as I lovingly named him many years ago, is a true man of God. He has stood strong through the years, faithful to his family, friends, church but most importantly to His Heavenly Father.
As a little girl he preached the sermon that prompted me to ask Jesus as my Savior.  As a teenager he stood with me in the baptismal waters as I professed my faith before my church.  As a young adult he counseled me on marriage and was the pastor who led me in my marriage vows.  And as a young mother, he held my firstborn as we dedicated her to the Lord.
If he just did those things in my life, he would be pretty special.  Yet that it is just a small part of the role he and his wife played in my life. 
He told me bear stories that kept me up at night, took me on huge walks on the trails in Roan mountain (which almost always ended with me on his shoulders), spent most of my childhood Thanksgivings with me and the list could literally go on and on.
In my lifetime I have been fooled and disappointed by people and leaders in the church.  Things that have shook me to my core, but Mr T has never let me down. His eyes and heart have always been fixed on the Heavenly Father.
I am thankful to have had him as my pastor.  I know that God will continue using him to touch and teach people.  Mostly, I am thankful for the part he and his family played in my life.  The laughs.. the tears...the adventures.

No comments:

Visitors